Friday, July 11, 2014

The Benefits of Affliction

A couple weeks ago my husband and I had a part-member family in our home for a Family Home Evening. As we thought about what we would share for our lesson, we both felt it would be a good idea to go over the Plan of Salvation (especially since there is so much to learn about it that it didn't matter if they had received the same lesson from the missionaries the day before). What we had originally planned to be a 15 minute overview turned into an hour plus lesson as the husband and wife (both investigators) asked question after question and marked every scripture Beto and I mentioned as we testified of the doctrine of our Father's plan of happiness. At the end of the lesson, we all felt like we could have continued teaching and learning, but it was already 10pm! 

One thing I drew from that experience is that we take our knowledge of the plan of salvation for granted. The truth about who we are, where we come from, and who we can become is LIFE CHANGING. I saw it over and over again on my mission and I saw it during our little Family Home Evening just the other day. But it's not just life changing for investigators and new members. Several days after our awesome FHE, I went through one of the hardest weeks of my life. It seemed like one tragedy after the other added to disappointment after disappointment until I was so emotionally sick I didn't get out of bed one morning to go to work (which I don't think I've ever done before) and told my husband I didn't want to deal with life that day. 

Thankfully, I have been blessed with the best husband ever. Before he left for work, he encouraged me to think about what I had taught at Family Home Evening and apply it to myself. Later in the day, since I was still in emotional paralysis, he sent me a message to tell him everything for which I am grateful (i.e. apply
my other post about gratitude!). And, as always, the miracle of gratitude did not fail me. As my emotional paralysis turned into an attitude of gratitude, I felt the Spirit return and life started to get better. I decided to keep the spiritual momentum going and turned to the scriptures, my patriarchal blessing, and the words of the prophets to buoy me up. As I did, I came across several quotes about affliction from Elder Neal A. Maxwell, whose own afflictions took him beyond this life. Several of his quotes spoke of the vital role of affliction in giving us the experience God's plan was designed to deliver. He states:
The sobering indication "All these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good" (D&C 122:7) tells us that while we are doctrinally rich, we are usually experience poor. Gods's plan is designed to correct the latter deficiency; one's soul shivers, however, as one contemplates the implications. (Faith, 34-35.)  
God said he would structure mortality to be a proving and testing experience (see Abraham 3:25; Mosiah 23:21). Clearly He has kept His promise and has carried out His divine intent. Therefore adversity must be part of the pattern rather than always an aberration. Therefore even our fiery trials, as Peter said, should not be thought of as being "some strange thing" (1 Peter 4:12). Hence, throughout the varying lengths of our lives there is rolling relevance contained in the counsel to endure it well. (Endure, 2.) 
And if regular experience alone is not enough, some afflictions can be designed to mold us to a greater degree than we ever imagined possible; as Elder Maxwell explained, 
Exceptional souls are not developed . . . by being made exceptions to the challenges that are common to mankind. (Prove, 116.)
We undergo afflictions such as are "common to man" (1 Corinthians 10:13). Additionally, God will deliberately give us further lessons and experience which take us beyond the curriculum common to man and on into uncommon graduate studies or even postdoctoral discipleship. (Not My Will, 4.) 
As I digested all of Elder Maxwell's teachings, every word hit home, but the following two quotes are the ones that shot bright rays of light and truth right through my heart: 
How can you and I really expect to glide naively through life as if to say, "Lord, give me experience, but not grief, not sorrow, not pain, not opposition, not betrayal, and certainly not to be forsaken. Keep from me, Lord, all those experiences which made Thee what Thou art! Then let me come and dwell with Thee and fully share Thy joy!" (Ensign, May 1991, 88.) 
Like his Master, the true believer loves his life but is willing to lay it down or to see it slip slowly away through affliction. If he is given a "thorn in the flesh," he does not demand to see the rose garden. ("'True Believers in Christ,'" 139.)  
Let us not forget why we are really here. Yes, "men are that they might have joy" (2 Nephi 2:25), but we did not leave the presence of the Almighty God for a simple pleasure trip. We came here to prove ourselves. We chose to leave the presence of our heavenly father, the God of the universe, to experience this life and demonstrate our loyalty to Him, despite all that we knew could happen as part of our mortal experience. Why? So that when we returned to his presence after this life, we would be worthy of the eternal joy that awaits us.

In fact, true joy has nothing to do with our house, our job, our things, worldly approval, or life running smoothly. Nothing at all. True joy is the joy rooted in eternal things that cannot be taken away by mortal circumstances. True joy can be present even in our darkest hours; we need only to remember its source, our Savior.

As I worked my way out of my emotional fog, I found another ray of light in my patriarchal blessing. I had often read the part of my blessing that talks about how I will face trials in life and will overcome them because I know it is the Lord's way of helping us to learn and progress. What I had never noticed about the phrasing before was that it actually states that I will overcome my trials because I understand the Lord and his way of helping us to learn and progress. "Because I understand the Lord." Isn't that so interesting?! It had never occurred to me that I understand the Lord, nor that understanding Him could specifically help me through my trials, but as I read those words I realized that I do understand Him (if only to a small degree) and that that understanding makes all the difference.

Most importantly, I understand that God loves me. I understand that He loves all of us and He wants the best for all of us. What is more, He has allowed us the chance to really understand what "the best" truly is. In fact, He wants us to understand Him so intensely that He has invited us to His home, the temple, so that He can personally teach us. As I thought about this truth, my mind immediately went back to the incredible experience I had less than a month ago as I sat in the house of the Lord and witnessed one of the most sacred ordinances being performed--the sealing of my best friend to an incredible young man, her companion for time and all eternity. Witnessing a temple marriage has always been a powerful experience for me. It is one of those crystalline clear moments when eternity is so tangible you can actually see it. As the sealer gave the couple advice, I was overwhelmed by the Spirit and touched by the truth of his words. It was the first sealing I had been to since my own and I could not deny the absolute beauty of eternal marriage and the power of temple blessings. 

In the presence of eternity, it was easy to understand everything Beto and I have been through in the first ten months of our marriage. The overwhelming blessings and the vision of who we can become that Gad so openly shares with us in the temple not only make our earthly experiences worth it, they also give purpose to all the sorrow, grief, pain, disappointment, tragedy, betrayal, and opposition we could ever face in this life. As Paul taught the Romans, "The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if it so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together. For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." (Romans 8:16-18.)

Do we get it? Do we really get it? We are children of God. We are divine. We are joint-heirs with Christ!!!! We have been promised all that God has. All. Of. It. Those are not just nice words of comfort offered by a caring friend who knows nothing of our sufferings. Those are words of truth spoken by God himself, the creator of the universe. He has promised us all that He has. And He knows what we are going through. He is suffering it all right along with us. Why? Because He loves us, He wants us back, and He knows that we need the benefits of affliction to make it there.

3 comments:

  1. Great wisdom, Ashley. I loved your insights. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, Thank you for your insight! I am going to share this with one of our daughters who is struggling with these same things right now. Thank you.

    Diana Ralphs

    ReplyDelete